Monday, August 22, 2011

Our teenagers. To interfere or not to interfere.

Interfering in our teenager's lives. Should we? I don't think that there is really a right or wrong answer to this question. If we look back to when we were mere teenagers, did we really want our parents to interfere in our lives. No I don't think so, I know that I didn't dare tell my parents anything that would give them reason to reprimand or even dabble in my personal life back then, but then again I never had the urge to give myself the opportunity to confide in them about anything at all because I knew damned well that it would all backfire on me.
But life with my own teenagers is very different to when I was growing up. They choose to confide in me but that's only because I don't talk down to them or order them to do things certain ways. I have always given them the opportunity to choose for themselves which way to go about certain things in their lives. I am a firm believer of making your own mistakes and learning from them. If it looks like they're burying themselves too deep then that is the time that I step in and begin to re-install my beliefs into them. But honestly if they can work it out for themselves, then let them be I say. "Whatever doesn't break you makes you stronger" that saying has been around for as long as I can remember and it's very true. If kids have been raised in a well balanced home with good morals and firm guidelines of what they are allowed to do and what they're not, then I believe that they will head in the right direction. Sure, a few sidesteps may throw them off-course for a moment or two but they'll get straight back on track soon enough and as parents the only thing we need to do is stand back and be on guard for those times that they may need a bit of an encouraging steer to put them back in the right direction. So I say, interfere if you must, but ONLY if you must.
Until next time,
Ciao' for now..
M.C. Holman

No comments:

Post a Comment